For In-House Legal Departments
We have extensive experience assisting in-house legal departments with any issue they may face, big or small.
- We help companies comply with all relevant laws and regulations, including those covering new and pioneering industries.
- We assist companies in reviewing and revising agreements of all sorts in either English or Japanese, minimizing costly disputes and protecting the company’s legal rights.
- We advise companies on how to avoid ruinous corporate scandals and other misconduct that can cause long-term harm to a company’s reputation.
- We provide second opinions on other law firms’ legal analysis and conclusions.
For Foreign-Based Entities Doing Business in Japan
We help non-Japanese companies of all types and sizes set up and succeed in Japan’s notoriously complex business environment.
- We work closely with non-Japanese companies to establish a subsidiary or branch in Japan. Getting the right advice from the earliest possible stage ensures compliance with local regulations, reduces costly mistakes, and maximizes the chance of success.
- We serve as a trusted liaison when HQ has issues with its local subsidiary and needs complete and accurate information to make the right business and legal decisions.
- We augment the capabilities of a business’s in-house legal department, allowing the company to focus on its core business and operations.
- We assist companies in winding up their Japan operations, or downsizing in response to market trends.
For Private Clients
We help high-net-worth individuals with any Japan-related estate planning and inheritance matters.
- We provide cross-border estate planning services for high-net-worth individuals, owners of closely-held businesses living in Japan, and residents of Japan with family, business, and other connections outside of Japan.
- We assist non-Japanese residents to transfer title to inherited property in Japan and to handle all aspects of Japanese inheritance taxes.
- We help clients with investments in Japan or who are planning to invest in Japan to minimize their tax risks.
- We represent individuals involved in will contests and other trust and estate disputes.